Tuesday 8 November 2022

Vintage Pello Chairs Renovation

 So, more furniture from Freecycle.org to restore :-)

This time it was 2 vintage IKEA Pello chairs which were is a sorry state -  the wooden frames were well worn and neglected - I think they had been stored in a damp garage for some time :-(

Anyway, I sanded the dismantled wooden frames and gave them three coats of a matt varnish which got them looking much better.

The frames hanging from the washing lines waiting for the varnish to dry :-O

So then I assembled one of them to see what next. Unfortunately, the padding had shrunk (I assume a previous owner had machine washed in too a hot wash) just too much to fit on the metal frame. So, I spent a few weeks pondering how I was going to proceed. I considered various options like buying new Poang cushions from Ikea - the cheapest cost 30 pounds and they only had them in black.


The edge of the padding tore trying to stretch it over the metal frame :-(


So, I decided to recover the padding and full seat metal frame but then I had to find somewhere that sold suitable fabric. I tried a place in Cardiff and despite arriving at its well hidden location (inside an antiques centre on Penarth Road Cardiff) an hour after their advertised morning opening time, they weren't professional enough to actually open up shop . So, I gave up on them :-)

I eventually caved in and went to Dunelm Mill which I knew had cut back drastically on fabric. Sadly, they had no fabric on the roll except wipe clean PVC tablecloth material.

Limited choices in their clearance section but I found a single curtain that was big enough to recover both chairs:-) And to make a couple of matching cushions if I want to. I may try making neck cushions like some Poang cushion sets have.



The first one was a completed a couple of days ago and doesn't look too bad ;-)


And, I've finally finished the second chair :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment